Search This Blog

Monday 31 August 2020

HS2 proponent Andrew Adonis on Rishi Sunak, Tony Blair and Keir Starmer

I like Andrew Adonis' clear sentence construction, but that's about all I like about what that member of the House of Lords stands for.

As well as his track record of helping to land us with HS2 and having declared himself 'Lord of Camden, I relate the following from his leader comment at The New European website for 27 August under the heading

Keir Starmer needs a game plan to defeat the Tories - and Boris Johnson’s possible successor

I love the Last Night of the Proms. I was there waving my European flag last year while singing merrily along. My only problem with Land of Hope and Glory is that after Covid-19 and Brexit there will be precious little of either. It will be land of no hope and humiliation....

If I could make a confession in the privacy of this column: Sunak is the first front-rank politician since Tony Blair who reminds me of Tony Blair. From me, you realise, that is the greatest compliment imaginable.

I say all this frankly, as a Labour politician who admires Keir Starmer and wants him to succeed, because disguising the view is rarely the best way of getting up a mountain. On the contrary, you need both a good view and a good map. And the best map to navigate Labour successfully from opposition to government is the Blairite one....

At the same time, Starmer as MP for the area that takes in HS2's proposed terminus Euston Station is speaking out against what I can best describe as HS2 proponents' gung ho attittude toward voters at that end of the line.

Perhaps Adonis does not a person who at least speaks out for local residents against matters that stand in the way of HS2 profiteering to remain in charge of the Labour Party?

(This is not to say that I favour Starmer's witch hunt of anti-Zionists within the Labour Party under the masquerade of 'rotting out antisemitism.)

Alan Wheatley
Now resident in South Hererfordshire Parliamentary constituent, and formerly a resident of LB Camden and 2015-2017 constituent of Keir Starmer.







No comments:

Post a Comment