Search This Blog

Wednesday 7 August 2019

Government's funding proposal for Sizewell C proposed nuclear reactor exemplifies 'government by market forces'

A petition I signed up to today is this:
Energy giant EDF wants you to pay extra on your electricity bill so it can build a new nuclear power plant on the Suffolk coast.
The government has just launched a consultation on this scheme, which means we can still put a stop to it if enough of us object now.
 Sign the petition 

I pay more for my renewable energy than I would for fossil-fuel-based energy. On a basic State Pension, I can just about afford this. There is no way I would be able to afford to be so responsible for helping to avoid climate destruction if I was on Universal Credit! And I doubt that I'd be able to afford the Tory Government's proposed tariff on all energy users.

Moreover, the proposed nuclear power station would be built by a Chinese company and owned by Energy Distribution Francois, another outside company. Would the right wing media that oppose immigration of asylum seekers to the UK and promote Brexit oppose such 'government by market forces'? I very much doubt it.

How much would the nuclear fuels cost post-Brexit? How would the waste be disposed of?

Would it not be better for UK government to disallow the building of any nuclear power stations, including the proposed Sizewell C that was given the go-ahead before really determining who would pay for it?

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment